Herbert Ingram

Herbert Ingram

Herbert Ingram was born at Boston, Lincolnshire on 27th May 1811. After being educated at the local free school he became an apprentice in the printing trade. When Ingram finished his training he moved to London where he worked as a journeyman printer.

In 1832 Ingram established his own printing and newsagents business in Nottingham. As a newsagent he noticed that when on the rare occasions that newspapers included woodcuts, their sales increased. He therefore came to the conclusion that it would be possible to make a good profit from a magazine that included a large number of illustrations.

Ingram moved back to London and after discussing the matter with his friend, Mark Lemon, the editor of Punch, he decided to start his own magazine. With Lemon as his chief adviser, the first edition of the Illustrated London News appeared on 14th May 1842. Costing sixpence, the magazine had sixteen pages and thirty-two woodcuts.

Ingram was a staunch Liberal who favoured social reform. He announced in the Illustrated London Newsthat the concern of the magazine would be "with the English poor" and the "three essential elements of discussion with us will be the poor laws, the factory laws, and the working of the mining system". The magazine was an immediate success and the first edition sold 26,000 copies. Within a few months it was selling over 65,000 copies a week. High prices were charged for advertisements and Ingram was soon making £12,000 a year from this publishing venture.

In 1856 Ingram became the Liberal candidate in a by-election in his home town of Boston. With help from his friend Mark Lemon and Douglas Jerrold at Punch, and from the team at the Illustrated London News, Ingram advocated a policy of social reform. Ingram told the people of Boston they needed a a "representative who is at once the product and the embodiment of the progressive spirit of the age". The electorate responded to Ingram's message and he won an overwhelming victory. However, several daily newspapers attacked Punch and the London Illustrated News for the part they had played in Ingram's victory.

In 1860 Ingram went to America with his eldest son to obtain material for the Illustrated London News. On 8th September, Ingram was on board the Lady Elgin, when the ship was sunk after colliding with another vessel on Lake Michigan. Herbert Ingram, his son, and nearly all the passengers were drowned.

Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900/Ingram, Herbert

INGRAM, HERBERT (1811–1860), proprietor of the ‘Illustrated London News,’ was born at Boston, Lincolnshire, on 27 May 1811, and was educated at the Boston free school. At the age of fourteen he was apprenticed to Joseph Clarke, printer, Market Place, Boston. From 1832 to 1834 he worked as a journeyman printer in London, and about 1834 settled at Nottingham as a printer, bookseller, and newsagent, in partnership with his brother-in-law, Nathaniel Cooke. In company with his partner he soon afterwards purchased from T. Roberts, a druggist at Manchester, a receipt for an aperient pill, and employed a schoolmaster to write its history. Ingram claimed to have received from a descendant of Thomas Parr, known as Old Parr, who was said to have lived to the age of one hundred and fifty-two, the secret method of preparing a vegetable pill to which Parr's length of life was attributed (Medical Circular, 23 Feb. 1853, pp. 146–7, 2 March, pp. 167–8). Mainly in order to advertise the pill its proprietors removed to London in 1842.

Meanwhile Ingram had projected an illustrated newspaper. He had long noticed how the demand for the ‘Weekly Chronicle’ increased on the rare occasions when it contained woodcuts, and on 14 May 1842 he and his partner produced the first number of the ‘Illustrated London News.’ Their original design was to make it an illustrated weekly record of crime, but Henry Vizetelly, who was employed on the paper, persuaded Ingram to give it a more general character. The Bow Street police reports were, however, illustrated by Crowquill. The first number of the paper, published at sixpence, contains sixteen printed pages and thirty-two wood-cuts, and twenty-six thousand copies were circulated. The best artists and writers of the day were employed. Frederick William Naylor Bayley, known as Alphabet Bayley, or Omnibus Bayley, was the editor, and John Timbs was the working editor. The newspaper steadily advanced in public favour, and soon had a circulation of sixty-six thousand copies. The Great Exhibition of 1851 gave it a further impetus, and in 1852 a quarter of a million copies of the shilling number illustrating the funeral of the Duke of Wellington are said to have been sold. At Christmas ​ 1855 the first number containing coloured prints was brought out. High prices were charged for advertisements, and the average profit on the paper became 12,000l. a year. The success of the enterprise caused Andrew Spottiswoode, the queen's printer, to start a rival paper, the ‘Pictorial Times,’ in which he lost 20,000l., and then sold it to Ingram, who afterwards merged it in a venture of his own, the ‘Lady's Newspaper.’ Another rival was the ‘Illustrated Times,’ commenced by Henry Vizetelly on 9 June 1855, which also came into Ingram's hands, and in 1861 was incorporated with the ‘Penny Illustrated Paper.’ On 8 Oct. 1857 he purchased from George Stiff the copyright and plant of the ‘London Journal,’ a weekly illustrated periodical of tales and romances, for 24,000l. (Ingram v. Stiff, 1 Oct. 1859, in The Jurist Reports, 1860, v. pt. i. pp. 947–8). Elated by the success of the ‘Illustrated London News,’ Ingram, on 1 Feb. 1848, started the ‘London Telegraph,’ in which he proposed to give daily for threepence as much news as the other journals supplied for fivepence. The paper was published at noon, so as to furnish later intelligence than the morning papers. It commenced with a novel, ‘The Pottleton Legacy,’ by Albert Smith, but the speculation was unprofitable, and the last number appeared on 9 July 1848.

Ingram and Cooke, besides publishing newspapers, brought out many books, chiefly illustrated works. In 1848 the partnership was dissolved, and the book-publishing branch of the business was taken over by Cooke. From 7 March 1856 till his death Ingram was M.P. for Boston. In an evil hour he made the acquaintance of John Sadleir [q. v.], M.P. for Sligo, a junior lord of the treasury, and he innocently allowed Sadleir to use his name in connection with fraudulent companies started by Sadleir and his brother James, chiefly in Ireland. After the suicide of Sadleir on 16 Feb. 1856, documents were found among his papers which enabled Vincent Scully, formerly member for Sligo, to bring against Ingram an action for recovery of some losses incurred by him owing to Sadleir's frauds (Law Mag. and Law Review, February 1862, pp. 279–81). The verdict went against Ingram, but the judge and jury agreed that his honour was unsullied. He left England with his eldest son in 1859, partly for his health, and partly to provide illustrations of the Prince of Wales's tour in America. In 1860 he visited the chief cities of Canada. On 7 Sept. he took passage at Chicago on board the steamer Lady Elgin for an excursion through Lake Michigan to Lake Superior. On 8 Sept. the ship was sunk in a collision with another vessel, and he and his son, with almost all the passengers and crew, were drowned. Ingram's body was found, and buried in Boston cemetery, Lincolnshire, on 5 Oct. A statue was erected to Ingram's memory at Boston in 1862. He married, on 4 July 1843, Anne Little of Eye, Northamptonshire.

His youngest son, Walter Ingram (1855–1888), became an officer of the Middlesex yeomanry, and studied military tactics with great success. At the outset of Lord Wolseley's expedition to Khartoum in 1884, Ingram ascended the Nile in his steam launch, joined the brigade of Sir Herbert Stewart in its march across the desert, was attached to Lord Charles Beresford's naval corps, and took part in the battles of Abu Klea and Metammeh, after which he accompanied Sir Charles Wilson and Lord Charles Beresford up the Nile to within sight of Khartoum. His services were mentioned in a despatch, and he was rewarded with a medal ( Sir C. Wilson , From Korti to Khartoum, 1886, p. 120 Times, 11 April 1888, p. 5). He was killed by an elephant while on a hunting expedition near Berbera, on the east coast of Africa, on 6 April 1888.

[Mackay's Forty Years' Recollections, 1877, ii. 64–75 Jackson's Pictorial Press, 1885, pp. 284–311, with portrait Hatton's Journalistic London, 1882, pp. 24, 221–39, with portrait Bourne's English Newspaper Press, 1887, ii. 119–124, 226–7, 235, 251, 294–8 Grant's Newspaper Press, 1872, iii. 129–32 Andrews's British Journalism, 1859, ii. 213, 255–6, 320, 336, 338, 340 Bookseller, 26 Sept. 1860, p. 558 Gent. Mag. November 1860, pp. 554–6 Annual Register, 1860, pp. 154–6 Times, 24 Sept. 1860, p. 7, 27 Sept. p. 10 Illustrated London News, 29 Sept. 1860, p. 285, 6 Oct. pp. 306–7, with portrait, 26 Sept. 1863, pp. 306, 309, with view of statue Boston Gazette, 29 Sept. and 6 Oct. 1860.]

The Death of Mr. Herbert Ingram on the Lady Elgin

. ".. Mr. Herbert Ingram, M.P., left Liverpool on Thursday last for Canada by the North America , accompanied by his son, Master H. Ingram." .


Saturday, September 29, 1860, Vol. XXXVII ---- No. 1052


"With a trembling hand and sorrowing heart we announce the death of Mr. Herbert Ingram, M. P., the founder and sole proprietor of the ILLUSTRATED LONDON NEWS, who, together with his eldest son, Herbert, perished on Lake Michigan in the lamentable disaster on the 8th inst. Exhausted by the fatigues of business and the labours of a long Parliamentary Session, Mr. Ingram had resolved during the recess to pay a visit to the American continent, and there to seek, in company with his son, a brave and intelligent boy of fifteen, that relaxation he so much needed. He sailed from Liverpool in the North American on the 9th of August, and landed at Quebec in time to witness, after he had traversed the Lower St. Lawrence, the knocking in of the last wedge of the Victoria Bridge at Montreal by the Prince of Wales. It was here Mr. Ingram took leave of the party of friends who, on his landing, had attended him, stating that he wished to be more quiet, and went on to the Falls of Niagara, where he staid [sic] some days, enjoying the grandeur of the scenery around him with the keenest appreciation. In one of the many characteristic letters received from him he says:---Thank God, I have been to see the Falls of Niagara. The contemplation of them seems to exalt while it soothes me and amidst these wonders of the creation I forget the realities and annoyances of life. From Niagara Mr. Ingram proceeded to Chicago, whence he had first proposed to travel across the Prairies, and to follow the Mississippi to New Orleans, and thence to New York, but more especially to Boston, which old associations of history had determined him to make the conclusion of his sojourn in the United States. In the last letter received from him, and dated Chicago, September 7, he states, however, that he had decided to visit Lake Superior, and to prolong his stay in America, proposing to return to England about the end of October. He left Chicago at midnight on the 7th of September, accompanied by his son---and our readers know the sad sequel to the story. It should, however, be added that his body was washed ashore about sixteen miles from Chicago, and just at the time that one of his friends, Mr. Hayward, had arrived at the spot. Every effort was used to restore life, but in vain. Mr. Hayward states, in a most feeling letter, that Mr. Ingram's countenance in death was perfectly calm and peaceful."

"Herbert Ingram, who was born in Boston, was in the forty-ninth year of his age.In that town he began an active career, at eleven years of age, as a printer, and both as apprentice and compositor he there did many a good, hard, day's work. He thus endeavored to assist in the support of his family, which, old and highly respected, had enjoyed comparative riches. To the interests of Boston, as his native town, he devoted throughout life much of the labour of his indefatigable nature. The pure water which its citizens drink---the gas which lights them---the railway, recently opened, that connects their town with the mid-districts of England---and many other works which now remain, bear the impress of his fostering hand and kindly care. At Boston, as many of his friends are aware, he had intended to spend the evening of his days, resting from his many labours on his property at Swineshead Abbey. Boston was justly proud of him, and through all the many phases of his eventful life recognised his merits, and undeviatingly gave him its confidence. Three times in succession was he returned as its representative to parliament, and always by majorities most decisive and unmistakable.

"His remains, which are expected to arrive in England in a few days, will be interred at Boston.

"Peace to the ashes of so worthy and so excellent a man---a kind husband, an indulgent parent, a faithful friend, and a good citizen!

"As the founder of this Newspaper he originated another era in the diffusion of knowledge and in the popularisation and promotion of art. He introduced a new means of improved education,---a novel machinery, by which to chronicle, in pictures, as well as by description, just as it passes, the history of the world. This Paper was the object of his utmost care and greatest pride. Only yesterday we found preserved amongst his most valued documents a relic, inscribed by his own hand, apparently but a short while before he left England:---
---H. I.'

"The ILLUSTRATED LONDON NEWS will for the future be conducted on the principles which it has always advocated, and in the manner which its founder adopted and approved. The Journal will continue in the care of those he himself had selected, and in whom he had long place the highest confidence. These will, of course, have the able assistance of the authors and artists who have so far conduced so much to the popularity of the Paper. It will be carried on for the benefit of his family (his widow being sole proprietress) and every endeavour may be relied upon to ensure a continuance of that support for which the late Mr. Ingram laboured so ardently and so successfully. The public has, indeed, already offered some assurance of this in the numerous expressions of condolence and sympathy his mourning family have received both from this county and from America."


Saturday, September 29, 1860,
Vol. XXXVII ---- No. 1052
-- Page 285, Column 3 --


"Late on the evening of Friday, the 7th inst., the Lady Elgin left Chicago with four hundred persons on board, bound on an excursion up Lakes Michigan and Superior. The wind blew hard from the north-east, and a heavy sea was running. But the party was a happy one. There were music and dancing in the saloon, and all went merry as a marriage-bell when, shortly after two on the morning of the 8th, there came a sudden crash. Thirty miles from Chicago and ten miles from land, off Waukegan, the schooner Augusta , making eleven knots an hour, came down on the doomed ship, struck her on the midships gangway, and then, having her sails set, and the wind blowing freshly, drifted off in the darkness. In half an hour the steamer sank in three hundred feet of water and of the four hundred persons on board not a hundred were saved. Amongst the drowned are Mr. Herbert Ingram, the proprietor of this Journal, and his eldest son.

"A clerk of the ill-fated vessel states:---

"One of the passengers gives the following additional particulars:---

"The commander, Captain Wilson, who acted throughout in a most gallant manner, as only one hundred feet from the shore when he perished.

"Captain Malott, of the schooner Augusta , states:---

"John Vorce, first mate on the schooner Augusta , gives the following evidence relative to the collision:---

"The Chicago Journal of September 8 says:---

"The drummer-boy of the Milwaukee Life Guard was saved by means of his drum:---

"The jury empannelled at Chicago to inquire into the cause of the recent terrible disaster on Lake Michigan have commenced their labours. Several persons who were on board the ill-fated steamer were examined, and their testimony tends to throw the blame for the occurrence, if any, upon the schooner Augusta , and the testimony of the two mates of the schooner leads to the same conclusion. The steamer's lights, it seems, were discovered at least ten minutes before the collision took place, which was certainly time sufficient to have enabled those on board the Augusta to take every precaution against accident.

"[Engravings of the Lady Elgin and the Augusta , from photographs just received from Chicago, will appear in our next Number.]"


Saturday, October 6, 1860,
Vol. XXXVII ---- No. 1053
-- Page 306 --

[note: on this page, an engraving, from a photograph by John Watkins, of "The late Mr. Herbert Ingram, M.P. for Boston"]


Saturday, October 6, 1860,
Vol. XXXVII ---- No. 1053
-- Page 307 --


"The Lady Elgin was a Canadian-built boat, and was constructed some nine years ago. She was a boat of 300 feet in length, and 1000 tons burden, and had the reputation of swiftness, which made her a favourite with excursionists and travellers generally. Before the completion of the Grand Trunk Railway of Canada the Lady Elgin carried the Canadian mails along the northern shores of the lakes, and after its completion she was sold to the Chicago firm of Hubbard and Co., by whom she has since been owned, and who kept her employed in the Lake Superior and Michigan trade of mails, passengers, and freight. Her most western port was Bayfield, on Lake Superior, and the eastern terminus of her voyage was Chicago. Bayfield is about 100 miles east of the head of navigation on Lake Superior. There are copper-mines there and at most of the ports along the shores of that great lake at which the steamer used to call. The Lady Elgin usually made three annual excursions on Lake Superior, starting from Chicago and it was while she was proceeding on the last of her three excursions for the present year that she met her fate. The captain of the unfortunate steamer was Mr. John Wilson, who had commanded her since she changed ownership and was a most popular and favourite master among passengers and pleasure travellers to whom he was known. He had considerable experience in the navigation of the lakes, having been engaged in it for some ten years. He leaves a family to lament his sudden and unexpected decease.

"The Augusta schooner, the vessel which ran into the Lady Elgin , is owned by Mr. George W. Bissell, of Detroit, and commanded by Captain Malott. She did not escape scathless in the collision, all her head-gear, jibboom, and stanchions being carried away. Indeed, it was supposed the vessel would fill, and sail was taken in and the anchor cleared away under fear of this result. The coroner's inquiry into the loss of the Lady Elgin was still proceeding at the departure of the last mail. Captain Malott had been examined, and his evidence, according to the Chicago journals, left scarcely any room to doubt that the deplorable calamity was one over which he at least had no control.
"According to the best authority, the number of persons on board the Lady Elgin when she left Chicago was 393, including the crew. Of these 114 are reported as saved. This would leave 279 lost, of which the bodies of only 67 had been recovered up to the 14th ult."

[note: at the top of the short article of this page (p.307), an engraving, "from a photograph by S. Alschuler," of "The lake steamer Lady Elgin," as she lay at her wharf on the day before she was lost.]

[note: and below the article, same page (p.307), is an engraving, "from a photograph by S. Alschuler," of "The schooner Augusta" in port at Chicago after her collision with the Lady Elgin.]

Saturday, October 13, 1860,
Vol. XXXVII ---- No. 1054
-- Page 329, near bottom of Column 2 --

[Foreign and Colonial News United States]

. ".. The coroner's jury in the Lady Elgin disaster have returned their verdict. They censure the authorities of the Lady Elgin for having on board too many passengers, but lay the principal blame of the disaster upon the officers of the schooner Augusta , declaring the second mate of that vessel incompetent." .

Saturday, October 13, 1860,
Vol. XXXVII ---- No. 1054
-- Page 337, Column 3 --

. "ELECTION FOR BOSTON.---Tuesday's Gazette contains a notice from the Speaker of the House of Commons to the effect that the death of Mr. Herbert Ingram, late member for Boston, having been certified to him under the hands of two members of the House of Commons, the right hon. gentleman will, at the end of fourteen days after the insertion of the notice, issue a new writ for the election of a member to serve for the said borough." .

Saturday, October 13, 1860,
Vol. XXXVII ---- No. 1054
-- Page 345, Columns 1 & 2 --


"The mortal remains of this lamented gentleman were interred yesterday week in the new Cemetery at Boston, Lincolnshire, whose inhabitants testified their deep respect for the deceased by entirely refraining from business during the day, and accompanying the body of their honoured townsman to its final resting-place 'among the people whom he had loved so well.' We copy from the Manchester Examiner and Times the following account of the removal of Mr. Ingram's remains from Chicago to this country, and of their interment in his native place:---

"A fortnight only has passed since the first news reached this country of the terrible accident on Lake Michigan, by which this gentleman and his eldest son, with some hundreds of other persons, lost their lives. At that time, it appears, his remains were already on board the steamer which conveyed them to England, under the charge of Mr. W. D. Stansell, the business agent of the ILLUSTRATED LONDON NEWS. Of that journal it is almost needless to remind our readers Mr. Ingram was the proprietor. Mr. Ingram and his son were travelling on a pleasure trip, and were quite unattended at the time the disaster befell the steamer in which they were passengers. No person at all connected with them was aware that they were then in the neighborhood of Lake Michigan, and their visit to it was a sudden and unexpected divergence from the route Mr. Ingram had previously fixed upon. The first intimation of their loss received by any of Mr. Ingram's friends was contained in the ordinary newspaper telegrams which were published in Toronto on the 10th. Toronto is at a distance of about 700 miles, or a railway ride of twenty-five hours' duration, from Chicago, whence the sad tidings proceeded. Mr. Stansell happened to be in Toronto at the time, and was, in fact, on the point of starting to meet Mr. Ingram at Niagara, by that gentleman's own appointment. He immediately set out on his long journey to ascertain the truth of what he read. He reached Chicago on the Tuesday evening, and any lingering hope that Mr. Ingram or his son might have escaped was at once dispelled. The body of Mr. Ingram was lying at the Briggs House Hotel in Chicago. As soon as possible after the remains had been landed, every care was taken to retain them in a condition to be identified.
"The inhabitants of Chicago had been deeply affected by the dreadful occurrence, through which so great a number of human beings had perished, and were impressed in particular by the melancholy fate of Mr. Ingram and his son, so far away from their home and from all their connections. Among those to whom the friends of the deceased are under special obligation for friendly services we may mention Mr. French, the manager of the Briggs House Hotel Mr. Wilkins, the British Consul at Chicago and Mr. Hayward, a resident Englishman.

"After waiting there three days, in vain hopes that the body of Mr. Ingram's son might be recovered, Mr. Stansell left Chicago with the body on his way to England on the evening of Friday, the 14th of September. Mr. Ingram's remains were escorted from the hotel to the station of the Great Western Railway by a procession of more than 800 of the British residents in the neighborhood, preceded by a band of music playing 'The Dead March in Saul.' The whole of the members of the St. George's Society of Chicago were in attendance, and Mr. Stansell received from them a written message of sympathy to Mr. Ingram's afflicted relatives in England. We have been favoured with a copy of the document, which is as follows:---

"Chicago, Illinois, U.S., Sept. 14, 1860.

Dear Sir,---In departing from our city upon your melancholy journey, the members of the St. George's Benevolent Association of Chicago desire that you should carry with you to the bereaved family of our deceased countryman our kindest sympathy for them in the affliction with which it has pleased Almighty God to visit them and, although it is not in our power either to mitigate their misfortunes in the irreparable loss they have sustained, or to alleviate the grief which must be the inevitable consequence of this great calamity, yet we can and do, earnestly and devoutly, pray the Great Disposer of all events to pour the balm of consolation upon their wounded spirits and may He who tempers the wind to the shorn lamb be to them a husband and a father, until they shall be again united in that upper and better world, where the wicked cease from troubling, and where the weary shall find rest.

On behalf of the St. George's Benevolent Association,
Francis Hudson, President."

"Mr. Ingram's remains were taken to Detroit by the Great Western Railway, and thence by the Grand Trunk line to Toronto. They reached Quebec on the 20th, and were conveyed on board the steamer for England on the following day.
"The Bohemian steamer, containing the body, arrived at Liverpool on the night of the 2nd instant. The body was landed and delivered to the friends of the deceased, who were in waiting at Liverpool, at half-past two o¹clock a.m. on Wednesday week. Among the gentlemen who were there to receive it were Mr. Nathaniel Wedd, of Boston, an uncle of Mr. Ingram Mr. E. Watkin, of Manchester, an old and confidential friend Mr. J. Parry, of Sleaford and Mr. G. C. Leighton (manager), Mr. S. Read (artist), Mr. Plummer, and Mr. Clapham, of the ILLUSTRATED LONDON NEWS. The body, having been identified, was finally placed in the coffin for interment, and on Thursday morning was removed to Boston. It was conveyed in a hearse-carriage, attached in the first instance to the train of the Great Northern and Sheffield Companies, leaving the Lime-street station at 8.45 a.m. for Manchester, and thence formed part of a special train which left London-road station at ten o¹clock, and arrived at Boston at 1.50 p.m., the precise time specified in the arrangements. The route was by the Sheffield line to Retford, thence by the Great Northern to Barkstone Junction, and from that place over the Boston and Sleaford Railway, of which undertaking Mr. Ingram was the largest proprietor, and had been the chairman from its commencement.
"Besides the gentlemen who accompanied the funeral-carriage from Liverpool to Boston, it was met at Manchester by Mr. George Wilson, Mr. S. P. Robinson, and Mr. Bradford, of Newall's-buildings and for a part of the distance the escort also included Mr. S. Lees and Mr. T. Roberts, of Manchester. The Sleaford station was hung with mourning, and the train was met there by a large concourse of people, including the Vicar (the Rev. J. Yarburgh) and many influential inhabitants of that place. At the Boston station many hundreds of persons were assembled, who accompanied through the streets of the town the mourning-carriage which conveyed the body to the residence of Mr. Wedd. Amongst all classes of the population of Boston, and without any distinction arising from opposition of political views, there has been an unequivocal acknowledgment of a serious public loss sustained in the death of Mr. Ingram. His fellow-townsman and constituents were therefore desirous to share to the utmost in paying the last mournful honours to a gentleman whose benevolence of disposition and attachment to the place of his birth they have had repeated occasions to appreciate. Without attempting to enumerate the important benefits conferred on it by Mr. Ingram, we may mention that the town owes to his enterprise and generosity the present abundant supply of water, and also the establishment of gasworks. So general was the local feeling of pride in the possession of Mr. Ingram as a representative man that it almost sufficed of itself to secure his return to Parliament, when at length he solicited the honour and it was mainly this sentiment of personal regard and esteem for him which rendered all opposition to his election abortive.
"A meeting of the town council of Boston was held on Monday, at which Mr. J. C. Little, the Mayor, presided, when a resolution to the following effect was unanimously adopted, on the motion of Mr. Clegg, seconded by Mr. Alderman Gask:---

"It is, perhaps, needless to say that the natural feelings of the people of Boston, as set forth by the members of its Corporation, could meet with no discouraging recognition from those most nearly connected with the deceased and the ceremony of interment was, therefore, attended with circumstances appropriately expressive of the public sympathy.
"A very imposing and lengthy procession was organized to accompany the remains of Mr. Ingram to their final resting-place, which is a vault in the new cemetery at Skirbeck. This is about a mile from the centre of the town, whence the procession started in the following order:---

"The Artillery and Rifle Volunteers formed in the market-place at twelve o'clock, followed by the Freemasons, Oddfellows, Foresters, and Artisans. In this order the procession marched four abreast over the bridge, down Bridge-street, round Liquorpond-street, and headed the funeral from the house of Mr. Nathaniel Webb [ sic ]. At the Assembly Rooms the Artillery and Rifles opened out to admit the Town Council and Magistrates between them and the rest of the procession. Other friends of Mr. Ingram, and those who wished to pay this mark of respect to his memory, followed the mourners. On arrival at the Cemetery Chapel the procession halted and opened its ranks in order to allow the mourners, the clergy and ministers of religion, the Town Council and Magistrates, to enter the chapel, after which the rest of the procession, under the direction of the Artillery and Rifle Corps, formed in three sides of a hollow square around the grave.

"During the progress of the funeral all the shops and places of business were closed, some of them (including the extensive ironworks of Mr. Tuxford) for the entire day. The streets were lined with thousands of people, who followed the procession up to the gates of the Cemetery. The carriages in the procession were seventeen in number. About fifty of the staff of the ILLUSTRATED LONDON NEWS were present. Among the clergymen were the Rev. Mr. Blenkin, Vicar of Boston, who officiated at the Cemetery the Rev. Mr. Oldrid, the Rev. Mr. Pettedden, and the Rev. Mr. Barker, of Rickmansworth.
"At the conclusion of the service at the Cemetery the procession formed again for return in the same order as it came, except that the carriages now took the lead. The remainder of the cortege accompanied them back to Mr. Wedd's residence, after which it marched round Liquorpond-street, up West-street and Bridge-street, to the Market-place, where it dispersed.

"It is calculated that there were upwards of ten thousand persons in the streets to witness the procession and funeral, and that more than two thousand persons marched in procession. All the vessels in port, including a French ship, kept their colours half-mast high from the time Mr. Ingram's remains arrived in Boston until the funeral was over."

Saturday, November 3, 1860,
Vol. XXXVII ---- No. 1058
-- Page 416, Column 3 --

[Country News Election Intelligence]

. ".. At the nomination at Boston, on Monday, for the election of a member in place of the late Mr. Herbert Ingram, the show of hands was in favour of Mr. Tuxford, the Liberal candidate but the polling on the following day resulted in the election of Mr. Malcolm, the Conservative candidate, by a large majority, the numbers at the close of the poll being---Malcolm, 533 Tuxford, 313.--. " .

Saturday, November 10, 1860,
Vol. XXXVII ---- No. 1059
-- Page 441, Column 3 --

"Anecdote of the Late Mr. Herbert Ingram M.P.----The Quebec correspondent of the Montreal Gazette says:---"I heard, the other day, that Mr. Ingram, the lamented late proprietor of the ILLUSTRATED LONDON NEWS, was in the Crown Lands Office here-- (poor fellow, he was inquiring about half a township which he proposed buying for his son)-- when, on looking through one of the collections of wood, he espied a bit of whitethorn.

'What' he exclaimed, 'is there whitethorn of that size in Canada? I would buy almost as much as could be furnished me, for box in England is getting scarce, and whitethorn is the best of substitutes for wood engravers.' This just illustrates the way in which mines of riches exist among us, or whose very existence we hardly dream until we find we have destroyed them. Bass wood, button wood, white (or tulip-tree) wood, curly birch, and other kinds of timber, which used to be thought valueless, are now beginning to form articles of considerable consumption and export."

Saturday, December 15, 1860,
Vol. XXXVII ---- No. 1064
-- Page 553, Column 2 --

[Country News]
. "The memorial of the late Mr. Herbert Ingram at Boston, it is decided, will consist of a white marble stature ten feet high (from the studio of Mr. Munro), on a pedestal of polished granite, at the base of which will be a fountain composed of a bronze female figure pouring water from a vase. The estimated cost is £2000." .

Old Boston

Standing on a stone plinth high above Boston Market Place is a statue of Herbert Ingram.

He was born in 1811, the son of a local butcher who died when Herbert was still an infant. He and his sister were brought up by their mother in some poverty, but he received a rudimentary education at Laughton's Charity School which in Herbert's day operated in the south-west chapel of St Botolph's, he then moved on to the much larger National School in Pump Square.
He was apprenticed to Joseph Clarke, a tradesman with premises in the Market Place. Clarke was primarily a printer, but supplemented his income with a handy side-line as a chemist and druggist, making up his own prescriptions. Herbert was acutely ambitious, and set out to learn every aspect of the printing trade.
Realising his chance of making his fortune in Boston was slim he set off for London. At the age of twenty-one he found work as a machine printer, and dedicated himself to working harder than anyone else in the trade.
He became friendly with Nathaniel Cooke, a well-educated lad from a good family, who later married his sister. Nathaniel had the literary ability which Herbert lacked - he never did master how to construct a grammatical sentence - but the two young men made a good team. Herbert had the drive and he was a born entrepreneur.

Their combined savings were enough to start a provincial business in Nottingham, where they set up as printers, newsagents and stationers. Remembering Joseph Clarke's side-line back in Boston, Herbert also devoted a corner of the shop to an agency for pills.
The partners were fortunate to come across a descendant of Thomas Parr, who had lived to the incredible age of 152. Old Thomas claimed that the secret of his longevity was a vegetable pill supplied from the recipe of Dr Snaith, back in Boston. Somehow Herbert Ingram managed to purchase the recipe, and the sale of Parr's Life Pills soon became a real bonus.
How many of the two partners' clients lived to a ripe old age history conveniently does not record, but with profits from the pills they were able to move back to London and set up a printing business in the heart of the city. Herbert Ingram's next venture was to take up an idea from a member of his staff called Marriott, and to found an illustrated weekly newspaper.
Ingram held a sincere belief that an understanding of topical news should not be the prerogative of the well-educated and the wealthy. If pictures could supplement the text, he argued, it would not be necessary to be literate in order to know what was going on in the world. So he ignored those who dismissed the idea as preposterous or a mere gimmick, and founded the 'Illustrated London News' in 1842, selling for sixpence a copy. He thus became a newspaper proprietor at the age of thirty-one, and it was certainly the first paper of its kind.

Modern Mexican History (Classic Reprint)

Extent of Mexico Mexico colonial and contemporary the northern boundary under Spain Treaty of 1819 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo Gadsden Purchase southern boundary in modern times conflicts with Central American states.

Physical features The Isthmus of Tehuantepec plateaus of Yucatan, Oaxaca, Puebla, and Anahuac low hot coastal plains Excerpt from Modern Mexican History

Extent of Mexico Mexico colonial and contemporary the northern boundary under Spain Treaty of 1819 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo Gadsden Purchase southern boundary in modern times conflicts with Central American states.

Physical features The Isthmus of Tehuantepec plateaus of Yucatan, Oaxaca, Puebla, and Anahuac low hot coastal plains eastern and western Sierras. Lower California. The great barrancas or natural gorges of the north: Cobre, Batopilas, San Carlos.

Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com

This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works. . more

1888, April 6: Curses of the Ingram Mummy

In an 1896 issue of The Strand magazine of London, England, an extrodinary tale was told about the final fate of Herbert Ingram, who had assisted Lord Charles Beresford in the 1884-1885 Soudan War.

Ingram had taken his own steam launch out to Egypt to volunteer for the Gorden Relief Expedition which was to travel up the Nile to assist British forces trapped in Khartoum. As a sort of souvenir of his Egyptian adventures, Ingram bought a mummy for £50 from the English Consul at Luxor, and had it shipped home from Cairo.

The Ingram Mummy, ca. 1888.
[ Larger version here ]

The mummy was that of a priest of Thetis, and a representitive from the British Museum was asked to decipher and translate the inscriptions on the mummy's case. The inscription set forth that whosoever disturbed the body of this priest should himself be deprived of decent burial: he would meet with a violent death, and his mangled remains would be "carried down by a rush of waters to the sea." The curse was found to be amusing, and soon forgotten.

Some time after sending the mummy home, Mr. Ingram and Sir Henry Meux were elephant-shooting in Somaliland, when one day the natives brought in a great chunk of dried earth, saying it was the spoor of the biggest elephant in the world. The temptation was too much for the two sportsmen, so they tracked the elephants. When they spotted the herd, Sir Henry realized he had left his elephant gun back at the camp Ingram gratiously offered his own gun for the knight to use, leaving himself with a comparatively impotent smallbore rifle. While Sir Henry followed the bull of the herd, Ingram focused on downing one of the cows. By galloping his horse by the elephant, he was able to shoot and run away, so as to hopefully take her down with a large number of small shots. but as he was watching the elephant and not his course, he was swept from his saddle by the drooping bough of a tree. The wounded elephant was on him almost the very moment he hit the ground, and Ingram was trampled to death despite his Somali servant shooting the elephant in the ear with his rifle.

For days the elephant would let no one approach the spot, but eventually Mr. Ingram's remains were reverently gathered up and buried for the time being in a ravine. However, the body was never seen again for, when an expedition was afterwards dispatched to the spot, only one sock and part of a human bone were found these pitiful relics were subsequently interred at Aden with military honors. It was discovered later that the floods caused by heavy rains had washed away Mr. Ingram's remains, thereby fulfilling the ancient prophecy — the awful threat of the priest of Thetis.

The author of the article then informed his readers that the mummy was now in the possession of Lady Valerie Meux, and that her husband, Sir Harry, had the tusks of the elephant that killed Ingram.

Right and Wrong

The Strand magazine appears to be the earliest printing of the account. and where everyone else got it from. The article is a twelve-page, illustrated interview with Lord Charles Beresford [ 1846-1919 ], and the brief account of Ingram's death and the circumstances around it fill a page and a half. The details were supplied to the author by both Lord Beresford and by Sir William Ingram [ 1847-1924 ], brother to the deceased man and Lord Beresford later repeated the story in 1914 when he published his memoirs. All of which is odd, by the way, because anyone who took a moment to research it would have found one big problem with the story as it exists.

Lieutenant Walter Herbert Ingram, son of the Herbert Ingram who founded the London Illustrated News and who was often also called 'Herbert' (apparently) did in fact find and bring home a mummy from Egypt. Later in life. as in several years later. he was in fact trampled to death, on April 6, 1888, by an elephant which then stood near his body for several days, and his body was indeed buried in a shallow place and subsequently washed away. Ingram had given the mummy to Lady Meux in 1886. two years before he was trampled to death. The supposed curse of the mummy was only mentioned in print after his spectacular death.

It is unlikely that a curse was ever presented to Ingram or anyone he knew before his death, because the representative from the British Museum would likely have been their resident Egyptologist at the time, Dr. E.A. Wallis Budge. Though Budge didn't print anything about any initial examination of the mummy, after Lady Meux received the mummy from Ingram, she allowed Dr. Budge to do a full inspection of it. Dr. Budge published a translation of all of the hieroglyphics on the case and mummy itself in 1893. three years before The Strand published the story of the mummy's curse. Budge's translation gave the mummy's name as Nes-Amsu, second prophet of the god Amsu, and showed that the mummy's case had many classic exortations to the gods of Egypt to recognize Nes-Amsu as a good man and to help him find a good place in the afterlife. but it doesn't contain any form of curse aimmed at those who touch his body.

So, in short, two years after Walter Ingram gave the mummy to Lady Meux, he was trampled to death while hunting with her husband and this was blamed on a curse that didn't exist on the case of the mummy Lady Meux possessed. I mean, really, after two years with the mummy, you'd have expected Sir Henry and Lady Meux to have been victims if there was a curse, right?

The Legend. What, AGAIN.

In early to mid 1911, newspapers worldwide carried the new 'true story' of the curse of the mummy of Nes-Amsu. Lady Meux had died on December 20, 1910, and, among other interesting clauses in her last will and testament, she bequeathed her extensive collection of Egyptian antiquities -- over 1,700 objects in all -- to the British Museum with the stipulation that they must take the whole collection, or none of it (it was to be sold off as separate pieces if they chose not to accept). Presumably, Dr. Budge was thrilled he still worked as the head of the Egyptian antiquities department at the museum. The newspapwers, however, asserted that "believers in the supernatural" were concerned about what would happen to the institution if it took the cursed mummy of Nes-Amsu into its collection.

The story of the mummy's curse was repeated in the newspapers, lest anyone doubt the danger. of course, it was a different story than the previous one, but few likely noticed.

In this new story, the mummy was first acquired by Walter Ingram, who bought it while serving in one of the Nile campaigns. due to a misunderstanding, Ingram had paid the dealer less than was expected, and in his wrath the dealer had heaped an ancient curse upon Ingram's head. After the mummy was brought to England, Ingram gave it to Lady Meux for her growing collection of Egyptian antiquities and when the hieroglyphics on the case were translated, they were found to contain the following curse: "If any person of any foreign country, whether he be black man, or Ethiopian, or Syrian, carry away this writing, or it be stolen by a thief, then whosoever does this, no offering shall be presented to their souls, they shall never enjoy a draught of cool water, they shall never more breathe the air, no son and no daughter shall arise from their seed, their name shall be remembered no longer upon earth, and most assuredly they shall never see the beams of the Disc. " i.e. the Sun God 1 .

Naturally, Ingram's death by elephant attack two years later was then implied to have been due to either the mummy's new curse, or the Egyptian dealer's uttered curse (take your pick!). In addition it was pointed out that when Sir Henry Meux died in 1900, it brought the Meux Baronetcy to an end for he and the Lady Meux had never had children, "another clause of the curse therefore being fulfilled." So, naturally, it was expected that the curse -- which for some reason still wasn't in Budge's translation of the heiroglyphics, and somehow let Lady Meux live for twenty-four years -- would be bad luck for the British Museum when they inheirited the mummy.

Nobody had to worry, however. for reasons never stated, the trustees of the British Museum decided to decline the bequest, and so Lady Meux's collection was put up for auction and sold piece by piece instead. Still the newspapers warned prospective buyers of the newly updated curse, only now it was claimed that the new translation was from a papyrus buried with the mummy, and not from the mummy itself or its case. It was also implied by at least one paper that Ingram may have given the mummy to Lady Meux in an attempt to pass the curse to someone else before it hit him. The warnings didn't prevent Nes-Amsu from being sold at auction to an unknown buyer, and the current whereabouts of the mummy are unknown. luckily, Budge made and published his study of the artifact before it vanished into a private collection 2 .

The legend got one more boost before it finally, quietly, was forgotten. On May 14, 1925, Henry Rider Haggard passed away at the age of 68. Haggard was the well-known author and creator of such memorable characters as the African adventurer Allan Quatermain and the enigmatic Ayesha, also known just as "She." About a year after his death, Haggard's memoirs -- Days of My Life -- was published in both book form, and serialized in The Strand Magazine of London. One of Haggard's best friends was none other than Dr. E.A. Wallis Budge of the British Museum, to whom Haggard had dedicated one of his earlier books, Morning Star. Being that Haggard couldn't resist a good story, and that a good story had already attached itself to Budge, it was natural that Haggard would have to at least mention the mummy. After summing up the basic details of the events above, Haggard wrote that he had asked Budge if he believed in curses:

" He hesitated to answer. At length he said that in the East men believed that curses took effect, and that he had always avoided driving a native to curse him. A curse launched into the air was bound to have an effect if coupled with the name of God, either on the person cursed or on the curser. Budge mentioned the case of Palmer, who cursed an Arab of Sinai, and the natives turned the curse on him by throwing him and his companions down a precipice, and they were dashed to pieces. Budge added: 'I have cursed the fathers and female ancestors of many a man, but I have always feared to curse a man himself. 3 "

Herbert Ingram anniversary celebrations 'not priority'

Herbert Ingram is credited with bringing fresh water, gas and the railways to Boston and transforming the town into a large industrial centre.

Victorian Cemetery Trust Chairman Jonathon Brackenbury said more needs to be done to celebrate his achievements.

The council said its current priority was maintaining services.

The son of a butcher, Ingram went on to become Boston's MP in 1856.

"He was instrumental in Boston expanding enormously in the 1840s and 1850s from a sleepy market town into a large industrial centre and would have been as well known as Alan Sugar or Richard Branson if he was alive today," said Mr Brackenbury.

Ingram, who founded the London Illustrated News - the first newspaper to have pictures - "deserves to be honoured a little bit more as one of the most famous Bostonians", he added.

In a statement the council said: "While Boston Borough Council recognises the important place Herbert Ingram MP had in the history and development of Boston, the current climate - when the council's priority is maintaining essential services - does not allow for the council to fund a commemoration event."

Herbert Ingram's life and achievements, especially in relation to Boston borough, will be recorded on the council's website and in a special feature in the council's monthly electronic newspaper, the Boston Bulletin, on the anniversary date - 27 May.

The Illustrated London News

Ingram moved back to London, and after discussing the matter with his friend, Mark Lemon, the editor of Punch, he decided to start his own magazine – The Illustrated London News. The first edition appeared on 14 May 1842. Costing sixpence, the magazine had 16 pages and 32 woodcuts and targeted a broadly middle-class readership. It included pictures of the war in Afghanistan, a train crash in France, a steam boat explosion in Canada, and a fancy dress ball at Buckingham Palace. That pictorials were viewed as being as important as text for reporting was clear from the first issue, which stated that the aim was to bring within the public grasp ". the very form and presence of events as they transpire and whatever the broad and palpable delineations of wood engraving can achieve, will now be brought to bear upon every subject which attracts the attention of mankind".

Ingram was a staunch Liberal who favoured social reform. He announced in The Illustrated London News that the concern of the magazine would be "with the English poor" and the "three essential elements of discussion with us will be the poor laws, the factory laws, and the working of the mining system". Despite arguing the case for social reform, the paper claimed to be nonpartisan. Its first editorial had stated, "We commence our political discourse by a disavowal of the unconquerable aversion to the name of Party." However, this may have been no more than a desire to gain the widest possible readership, because as time progressed, the paper displayed its Whig inclination. It showed moderation and caution in its reportage and this extended to that of the Irish Famine, which was largely sympathetic, even if not quite able to denounce the inadequacy of government policy or the ideas of prevailing economic or political orthodoxy. It had none of the overt negative stereotyping found in the most acerbic Punch cartoons. Overall, it shoed an attitude that England had a responsibility towards the victims of what was largely interpreted as a natural disaster.

The magazine was an immediate success, and the first edition sold 26,000 copies. Within a few months, it was selling over 65,000 copies a week. High prices were charged for advertisements, and Ingram was soon making £12,000 a year from this publishing venture. Encouraged by the success of The Illustrated London News, Ingram decided in 1848 to start a daily newspaper, the London Telegraph. When Andrew Spottiswoode started a rival paper, the Pictorial Times, Ingram purchased it and merged it with the Illustrated London News. In 1855, Ingram took over another rival, the Illustrated Times.

Ingram employed leading artists of the day to illustrate social events, news stories, and towns and cities. The whole spectrum of Victorian Britain was recorded pictorially in The Illustrated London News for many decades special events were important to its success. The magazine did very well during the Great Exhibition of 1851 and the edition that reported the funeral of the Duke of Wellington in 1852 sold between 150,000 and 250,000 copies, according to various accounts. Illustrations came from all corners of the globe. By 1855, Ingram was using colour and had artists in Great Britain and continental Europe racing to the scene of stories to capture the drama in print. The Crimean War caused a further boost to sales. By 1863, after Ingram's death, The Illustrated London News was selling over 300,000 copies a week, far higher than other journals. For example, newspapers such as the Daily News sold 6,000 copies at this time, and even the largest-selling newspaper, The Times, only sold 70,000 copies.

The Illustrated London News is still published today. Alison Booth, current editor, said: "He was very inventive and far-sighted and his legacy of bringing pictures to journalism can still be seen on the front pages of newspapers and magazines all over the world. The Illustrated London News had many imitators, but none came close. His first edition featured a great fire in Hamburg, Germany, and drawings portrayed the horror for readers. The popularity of the paper soared and attracted the most talented artists."

Wikimedia Commons has media related to Illustrated London News .


716-1/7/122 (West side)
14/02/75 Statue of Herbert Ingram

Statue. 1862 by Alexander Munro, with an allegorical figure
cast by Elkington. Statue in stone, on pink granite plinth,
with niche to front with bronze female figure pouring
invisible water from a vase, possibly a reference to Ingram's
work in bringing a new water supply to Boston. Ingram, who
died in 1860, founded the Illustrated London News in 1842 and
was MP for Boston.

Lincolnshire Life

0 comments so far,
share your thoughts.

The founder of one of the most successful newspapers in his time, a parliamentarian and reformer, Herbert Ingram is one of Boston’s most respected sons.

Herbert Ingram was born in Paddock Grove, Boston in 1811, the son of a butcher and was educated at Laughton’s Charity School and the public school in Wormgate.

On leaving school at the age of fourteen, he was apprenticed to Joseph Clark, the local printer. When he completed his apprenticeship he moved to London to work as a journeyman printer. In 1834 he started his own printing and newsagents business in Nottingham in partnership with his brother-in-law, Nathaniel Cooke. As a newsagent he noticed that when newspapers included woodcuts, sales increased. A business idea formed in his mind but he did not have sufficient funds to start the venture.

However, he eventually met a descendant of Thomas Parr who, it was claimed, had lived to the age of 152 and attributed his longevity to a vegetable pill of his own creation. Ingram bought the recipe to this pill and set about creating a story around the legend of Thomas Parr. The pills were marketed as Parr’s Life Pills and sold together with an explanatory leaflet entitled, ‘The Life and Times of Thomas Parr who lived to be 152.’

The pills were a huge success and provided the capital to launch the pictorial newspaper. Emboldened by this success, Ingram moved back to London and after a discussion with the editor of Punch, he decided to start his own magazine,

The Illustrated London News (ILN). The first edition appeared on 14th May 1842, priced at six old pence. The magazine had sixteen pages and thirty-two woodcuts and was aimed at a broadly middle class readership. It included images of the war in Afghanistan, a train crash in France, a speed-boat explosion in Canada and a fancy dress ball at Buckingham Palace. The pictures were regarded as being as important as the text and the magazine declared its intent to ‘bring to the public, the very form of events as they transpire.’

Ingram was a staunch liberal who favoured social reform and although the magazine claimed to be non-partisan, his reformist views were there for all to see. The magazine was an immediate success, the first edition selling 26,000 copies. Within a few months it was selling 65,000 copies a week. Rival papers started up but Ingram saw them off and bought them out. He employed leading artists of the day to illustrate the big news stories and social events from around the world.

The magazine did very well during the great exhibition of 1851 and the edition that reported the funeral of the Duke of Wellington in 1852 sold 250,000 copies. By 1855 Ingram was using colour and soon the ILN was selling over 300,000 copies a week, when The Times sold only around 70,000.

In 1856 Ingram became the Liberal candidate in a by-election in Boston and with the help of Punch and the ILN won an overwhelming victory. In Parliament, he was instrumental in bringing the railways to Boston and forged new links to the rest of the country. He also played a major part in supplying fresh piped water to the town, a move which was met with rejoicing and brass bands when the taps were turned on for the first time.

In 1860 Ingram went to the USA with his eldest son. On 8th September they were aboard the Lady Elgin on Lake Michigan when the ship collided with another vessel and sank. Herbert Ingram, his son and hundreds of other passengers were drowned. Ingram’s body was brought back to Boston where it was buried in the cemetery on Horncastle Road. Today, there is a statue of Ingram in the Market Place in front of Boston Stump.

Watch the video: Jared Cook on Getting to Play with Justin Herbert, Hes able to keep the chains moving